Welcome to “Spirit of Community”, Delano, Minnesota.
* Delano is home to Minnesota’s Oldest and Largest Fourth of July Celebration each year, hosting more than 30,000 visitors over the four-day event. Notable grand marshals include NHL player, 2022 USA hockey team and Delano High School graduate Ben Meyer, NFL Hall of Famer Member John Randle, professional athlete Brock Lesnar, Congressman and Delano resident Tom Emmer, Jason Davis of KSTP TV’s “On the Road,” and WCCO sports reporter Mike Max. Six local community organizations Delano Athletic Club, Delano American Legion, Delano BSA Scouts Troop 273, Delano Lions, Delano Sportsmen’s Club, and Velocity Swim Club come together to put on July 4th celebration each year..
* Delano co-hosted the Minnesota State Amateur Baseball Association tournament in 2013. The two communities last hosted the tournament in 1997 and attracted almost 15,000 people, and also hosted in 1984. Delano is gearing up to host again in 2023.
* A large part of the movie “A Simple Plan,” released December 1998 and starring Billy Bob Thornton and Bill Paxton, was filmed in and around Delano and prominently featured several locations and local people as extras.
* Former Miss Delano Alex Forester was crowned Minneapolis Aquatennial’s 2009 Queen of the Lakes.
* Delano Public School System has received numerous honors and recognitions for academic achievement. In 2022 US News and World Report ranked Delano Elementary School ranked no. 25, Delano Intermediate School ranked No. 13 and Delano High School ranked no. 16. Other ranking include the Minnesota Academic Excellence Foundation School Spotlight Award in 2006, the School of Excellence Award in 2008 (Delano Elementary School) and was ranked highest in Forbes Magazine’s “Best Schools for your housing buck” survey in 2013. The school system is a primary reason people locate to Delano.
Saturday, April 9, 2022
Chamber’s Annual Banquet is a fun night when the community celebrates the business of the year with dinner and live music. There is also a live and silent auction for additional excitement. Annual Banquet is held in early spring of each year.
Delano Community Expo
Delano Community Expo is a FREE event for the public to meet local business or organization in one place. Each business or organization showcases what they are all about. Delano Community Expo is held in late spring of each year.
Fourth of July Celebration
Delano is home to Minnesota’s Oldest and Largest Fourth of July Celebration each year, hosting more than 30,000 visitors over the four-day event. With many notable grand marshals include Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton, NFL Hall of Famer Member John Randle, professional athlete Brock Lesnar, Congressman and Delano resident Tom Emmer, Jason Davis of KSTP TV’s “On the Road,” and WCCO sports reporter Mike Max. Local community organizations work together to put on the celebration (Delano Jaycees, Delano Lions, Delano Athletic Club, Delano Sportsmen’s Club, and the Delano American Legion).
Check out the Delano 4th of July Website for more details.
Taste of Delano
Taste of Delano is the 1st Wednesday of August each year. The Taste of Delano is held at Delano City Park on Wednesday, August 3, 2022. This is the perfect opportunity to taste local food and drinks from area restaurants and caters. There is live music to keep you entertained. This is the perfect event for all ages!
Delano Citywide Garage Sales
Every year, Delano hosts a citywide garage sale event which turns the entire town into a thrift seekers paradise.
Typically taking place in mid-August, this event brings people from the far corners of the state to the Delano community.
CITYWIDE GARAGE SALE DAYS AND SIDEWALK SALES
Thursday, Aug. 17-Saturday, Aug. 20, 2022
Contact the Delano Herald Journal at (763) 972-1028 or e-mail email@example.com several weeks in advance to place your ad for your garage sale. Normal advertising rates and policies apply.
The Delano Area Chamber of Commerce also obtains a permit from the City of Delano allowing businesses to have sidewalk sales and promotions during this period.
This is the day for little ones to trick or trick with local businesses.
Christmas Tree Lighting
Christmas Tree Lighting is held at Riverfront Park in downtown Delano. Come to see the Christmas Tree be lit by the Delano Royalty Ambassadors, visit with Santa and take a carriage ride. This event is held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, also know as Small Business Saturday to support our small businesses. This is the event to make as a family tradition each year.
Old Fashioned Christmas
Join us for the annual Delano Old Fashioned Christmas celebration in downtown Delano on the 1st Saturday of December. Children's activities Vendors and crafters - food.
Delano's extensive and growing parks system is something the entire community enjoys. Delano is home of Landscape Structure, Inc, a leader of playground and splashpad equipment. Delano is luck to be able to test many of Landscape Structure’s new designs in our parks. In 2022 a dog park and archery range are being added as another way to get out and enjoy Delano. The gazebo in Central Park on the north end of the city was built and donated to the city by the General Federated Women's Club of Delano. Many of the park benches and raised bed garden boxes have been built by local Eagle Scouts.